Bread making is as old as time. What started as crushed grains mixed with water to form a gruel and then spread out onto a rock to bake in the hot sun, has turned into an actual art. Artisan bakers, are true craftsmen and women. They are trained to know every aspect of their ingredients, the science behind the required chemical reactions and the most optimal environment required to turn out a phenomenal loaf of bread.
Dutch Oven No Knead Bread is hands down the easiest way to make a wonderful loaf of bread, that tastes simply amazing!!
I have mad respect for this level of baking and when I have the chance to watch and absorb all the nuances of upper level bread making, I do. On the flip, you have this Dutch Oven No Knead Bread, which is oddly enough, in all its simplicity, a method that yields a lovely, round and crusty loaf of bread, very similar to an artisan loaf of bread.
The trick to Dutch Oven No Knead Bread is allowing the bread to rise for a longer period of time at room temperature. This slow rise method, or slow fermentation process allows gluten strands to form, which kneading would normally have created. The other benefit of the slow rise method is it really allows the flavors to develop.
Dutch Oven No Knead Bread is made with 4 ingredients in a Dutch Oven that requires nothing more than extra time to rise, resulting in the best tasting bread!!
One of the hallmark characteristics of Artisan bread is the crispy, browned crust. The way we are able to achieve this similar crust as a home baker, is by putting the fairly wet, shaggy, bread dough into a hot Dutch oven with a lid. When it is placed back into the oven, within the covered Dutch oven, it generates steam. It is this steam that creates the crackly, craggy looking crust. When the bread is done, you simply remove it from the oven, take off the lid and place it back into the oven for several minutes to add extra crunch, texture and a golden color to the loaf of bread.
Many people are afraid of working with yeast because they think they will mess it up somehow. If this is you that I speak of, let this be your opportunity to face your fear and make a loaf of bread that will knock your socks off! This Dutch Oven No Knead Bread is really a fool proof way of making bread.
To start a batch of Dutch Oven No Knead Bread, you are going to mix the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Use a whisk to mix up the dry ingredients a bit. Then to this, you will pour room temperature water into the flour and gently mix the water and flour mixture until it is well incorporated. Cover this bowl with saran wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let it sit on the counter for approximately 12-18 hours.
You will then preheat your Dutch Oven. You can do this by placing it into the oven and turning the oven to 450 degrees. By the time the oven reaches 450 degrees, your Dutch Oven is hot enough. Take the lid off and place your ball of dough onto the parchment paper and then place this directly into the the hot Dutch Oven, place the lid back on and place the covered Dutch Oven back into the hot oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and put it back into the oven for another 10 minutes to get a nice crunchy and golden crust on your loaf of bread. You will then remove this from the oven and let it cool before slicing. It is wonderful slathered in melted butter, used to sop up sauce or made into toast with jam.
Dutch Oven No Knead Bread
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups room temperature water
- In a large bowl, place flour, salt, yeast and mix together for just a moment to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Make a small well in the middle of the flour and pour in room temperature water. Mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula, scraping sides. This will be a very wet and shaggy (not smooth) dough. This will only take about 1 minute to mix together.
- Cover bowl and dough with a piece of plastic wrap. Set on counter for 12-18 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, place your dutch oven and lid into a cold oven and turn the temp to 450 degrees. When the oven reaches 450 degrees the Dutch oven is preheated and ready for the dough.
- On a flat surface, place about 1/4 cup of flour just to prevent sticking, pour out your dough onto the flour and fold the dough over on itself to form a ball.
- I then place this ball onto a piece of parchment paper. Pick up both ends of the parchment paper and carefully place this into the hot Dutch oven. I like to make one, shallow slit down the middle of the dough, for a unique when it is baked. Place the lid back on top and put into the oven for 30 minutes.
- At the 30 minute mark, remove the lid and place the Dutch oven back into the hot oven for 10 more minutes to form a nice golden and crunchy crust on your bread.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Enjoy!!!
I hope you give Dutch Oven No Knead Bread a try. It is an amazing and simple bread recipe. If it doesn’t turn out and you goof something up, nobody needs to know, just chuck it into the trash and try again. I highly doubt you will need a second go at it, this is pretty darn simple and even beginners see amazing results. Enjoy friends!
Dutch Oven No Knead Bread is a favorite Dutch Oven recipe, what is your favorite way to utilize your Dutch oven?