In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a fried donut, but donuts are supposed to be an every now and then treat. If you are looking to add them to your meal rotation on a more regular basis, you may want to think about switching to a baked donut. These still have all the wonderful flavor, but there is less fat and they are way easier on the ol’ waistline. These Baked Coffee Cake Donuts are delicious, and I know you are going to love them!
Baked Coffee Cake Donuts are a tender vanilla and cinnamon cake, covered with a delicious streusel topping!!
Not everyone has a deep fryer in their kitchen. I know there are portable models that can be used on your kitchen counter at home, but they can be cumbersome and in my case, MESSY! So, even though I like the way fried food tastes when I use my home fryer, I don’t use it very often because frankly, it is a pain in the rear to clean up.
We live up in the hills, out in the sticks, so when I want to pick up fresh donuts for my grandsons, it takes a good 25 minutes to get to the nearest donut shop. It isn’t always convenient to leave the house and head down the hill, so I have a perfect alternative! These Baked Coffee Cake Donuts are perfect to whip up in the morning and if I store them in an airtight container, they stay fresh all week!!
Baked Coffee Cake Donuts are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or dessert while watching movies with a big glass of milk or hot chocolate!!
These donuts are so easy to make! When you make baked donuts, you will need to have a baked donut pan, which is like a muffin pan with shallow donut-shaped wells in it. You will want to spray or grease this donut pan really well, because trust me, donuts like to stick!
Baked Coffee Cake Donuts are basically a vanilla cake-like batter, with a hint of cinnamon added. This also calls for sour cream, but you can use Greek yogurt instead if you’d rather. The sour cream helps to make the donuts moist and tender. Once you have made the batter, I suggest you put the batter into a large baggie which would allow you to twist the top and push the batter toward one corner. Then snip the corner off and VIOILA you have a piping bag!
You will fill the donut well about 3/4 full, but remember you need to leave space for the streusel topping. Once you have mixed up the streusel topping, you will evenly divide the topping and spread it onto the donut batter. You want to be very generous with the streusel topping, so it is really noticeable when the donut is baked.
You then pop the donut pan into the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or the donut portion is starting to get golden brown. Once done, you will remove the donuts from the oven, but let them rest and cool for about 10 minutes. If you don’t let them cool a bit, you will have broken donuts when you try and remove them. I use a thin butter knife and if necessary, I run the knife around the perimeter of the donut to loosen any stuck areas when I am removing the donuts.
Baked Coffee Cake Donuts
- Baked Donut Pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream can use Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease the donut pan, really well.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Melt the butter and add it to the sour cream, brown sugar, white sugar, milk, egg and vanilla and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and with your mixer, mix these together only until they are incorporated. Do not over mix them or they will be tough.
- Scrape the batter into a large plastic bag, squeeze the dough towards a corner and snip off the corner, so you can pipe the dough into the donut wells. Only fill each well about 3/4 full.
- Melt butter and add to a bowl containing all dry ingredients. Mix together with a fork until all topping has been coated with butter. It will be very crumbly.
- Liberally top all 8 donuts with the streusel topping. You will want to pile the topping up on the donut batter, then press down slightly so it will stick onto the donut dough.
- Place donuts into the preheated oven for 15 minutes or donut batter becomes golden brown.
- Once you remove the donuts from the oven, allow them to cool for about 10 minute and then use a thin butter knife to go around the perimeter of each donut to loosen any stuck spots. Enjoy!!!
Place these Baked Coffee Cake Donuts on a rack and let cool thoroughly, or go crazy and eat them hot, just be careful! This is a simple recipe that you can make often, or have the kids help you with, for a fun day in the kitchen. I hope you make these often and enjoy each and every awesome bite!!
We love Baked Coffee Cake Donuts!! What is your favorite flavor of homemade donuts?
4 thoughts on “Baked Coffee Cake Donuts”
Directions say add milk 🥛 after the sugars but there is no milk 🥛 in the list of ingredients
You will add 1/2 cup of milk. I am sorry, I left that off. I have since updated the recipe, thank you 🙂
Who doesn’t love donuts!?