When my boys were younger and involved in what seemed like ALL the sports and ALL the hobbies, we often had quick weeknight meals, timed around pick up and drop off from events. In the midst of these busy weeknights, I wanted to be sure the boys were eating well, so I relied on a few tried and true meals and side dishes like this Broccoli Sauté with Garlic and Chili Flakes.
Broccoli Saute with Garlic and Chili Flakes is broccoli, infused with garlic and spicy Chile flakes. It is a perfect side dish for any meal and a true family favorite!!
We are a family that likes pretty much any vegetable, but this is one, we made often! My boys are grown and have families of their own now and still, this is something we have regularly. Even though it is just the hubs and I now, I love to make an extra big batch and we can eat it for leftovers later in the week or I take it to work and heat it up for my lunch.
This is so simple to make and speedy beyond!! To make Broccoli Sauté with Garlic and Chili Flakes, you will need a pot of water, seasoned with salt. Bring this to a rolling boil. This is an important component to any blanching or boiling process, because the food you are cooking in water is absorbing some of that flavor. It is the difference between Ho-Hum broccoli and Holy Mackerel broccoli!
Broccoli Saute with Garlic and Chili Flakes is ready in just a few minutes. A dish this simple to make, and packed with such delicious flavors, is a winner every time!!
While the water is coming to a boil, slice up and coarsely chop your garlic. For most people 3 cloves of garlic is about right, we like it a little bit more garlicky, so I add 5 cloves of garlic.
When the water is boiling, add the broccoli and give it a stir to get it all down in the water and cook for approximately 2 minutes. While the broccoli is cooking, in a skillet right next to the pot, I add olive oil, garlic and chili flakes and sauté them on medium for about a minute. You want them heated and becoming fragrant, but do not cook them longer than a minute or two or the garlic will become bitter as it browns.
At the 2 minute mark, I use a slotted spoon to pick up the broccoli, let it drain for a second and add broccoli directly to the skillet with the olive oil, garlic and chili flakes. I will sauté the broccoli in this mixture to coating with the garlic oil for about 3-5 minutes. I then season it with salt and pepper and dinner is ready!!
Broccoli Saute with Garlic and Chili Flakes
- 6 cups broccoli flowerettes
- 2 tsp salt to add to broccoli water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped add more if you like more garlic
- 1/4 tsp red, chili flakes add more if you like it spicier
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water in a pot with added salt to water.
- As you are waiting for the water to boil, chop up garlic.
- Add broccoli to water and stir to make sure it is all under water. Cook for 2 minutes.
- While broccoli is boiling, add olive oil to skillet and heat, add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir to avoid burning.
- At the 2 minute mark, with a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked broccoli to the olive oil and garlic saute in the skillet. Toss to coat the broccoli in the olive oil mixture and saute for 3 minutes.
- Make sure to season the broccoli with salt and pepper as you saute. Enjoy!!
My favorite way to serve this with is with a piece of lemon and oil baked salmon or BBQ’d steaks or chops. Broccoli Saute with Garlic and Chili Flakes tastes fantastic leftover! In fact, I love to make omelettes for Sunday breakfast and adding cooked and crumbled sausage and this leftover broccoli to my omelette is a favorite!
Broccoli Saute with Garlic and Chili Flakes is my favorite, healthy, side side. What broccoli dish is your favorite to make when you are short on time?