Christmas is approaching at breakneck speed and you may still be wondering what to fix for your family breakfast or to serve guests. I know sometimes the menus you have created, and all the cooking you are required to do can add a lot of stress. I have an awesome, simple, and delicious recipe for Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake that will wow your family and friends.
Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake tastes as delicious as it is pretty!!
The thing I love about Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake is that it is a perfect cake to serve for breakfast. It can be made the night before and served at room temperature or pulled right out of the oven and placed on the table warm. Add some eggs, a little bacon or just a nice cup of coffee and you are set.
While this is perfect for breakfast, it is a lovely dessert. It is light and not too sweet. Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake is topped with nuts and has a beautiful ribbon of cranberry that runs through the middle giving it a pretty and unique look. It is perfect after a heavy meal when you or your company want just a “little something.”
Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake is tender and lightly sweet. It has a lovely ribbon of tart cranberry sauce that cuts a path through the middle and is topped with a crunchy, streusel nut topping.
This is a simple coffee cake to make. It is a basic, lightly sweetened batter that I bake in a springform pan. The springform pan allows you to remove the sides when it is baked. If you do not have a springform pan, don’t sweat it, you can use a regular pie pan or baking dish.
I am a lover of all things coffee cake. When I was a kid, my mom often made the coffee cake found on the side of the Bisquick box. It was also a lightly sweet batter, but it was topped with a streusel topping made of cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. I still love this coffee cake and make it every now and then too.
I like to stir the cranberry sauce up in a different bowl, just to loosen it up so I can spread it easily onto the batter. Then spread cranberry sauce all over the bottom layer of batter. Just gently spread it to cover, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Once this is done, then spread the remaining batter out evenly over the cranberry sauce and then sprinkle the nut streusel on top and bake.
When I want to change it up a bit, I grate a little orange zest into the batter since orange and cranberry go so well together. Depending what I have on hand, I may even change the nuts I put into the streusel topping. It really is a great, basic coffee cake recipe because it allows you to alter it to your liking. If you don’t like cranberries, you could even spread blueberry or raspberry pie filling between the layers of cake, and it would be wonderful!!
Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 8oz sour cream
- 1 14oz can cranberry sauce use with or without whole berry
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Sprinkle the chopped almonds into the bottom of the pan.
- in a medium size bowl, cream the sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at time and mix thoroughly before adding the next. Add the sour cream and stir to fully incorporate.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then slowly add it to the wet mixture, make sure you mix well.
- Spread about 3 cups of the batter over the top of the nuts in the springform pan.
- Stir the cranberry sauce first to make sure it is loose enough to spread and pour this over the batter, spread out gently with knife, then cover with remaining batter.
- For the topping, add all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and then cut in the butter until it is coarse and crumbly, then sprinkle this mixture all over the top of the batter.
- Place into an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes before removing the sides of the springform pan. Enjoy!
I hope when all is said and done, this Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake is on the menu for your holiday get-togethers. The recipe is quick and easy to make. The taste is delicious with the sweet cake and tartness from the cranberry sauce and yummy crunch from the topping. Its tastes like the perfect way to head into the New Year!! Enjoy friends!
Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake is perfect for breakfast but also makes an amazing dessert your family and friends will love!!
2 thoughts on “Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake”
Fantastic flavor and fluffiness. The cranberry in the middle was perfect.
Thank you! I am so glad you liked it and I agree, the cake was so light and flavorful!