Say the word “brownies” and I am in! Brownies, hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, packed in a container and taken on a picnic or even served with milk after school. How about something completely different, like Frosted Orange Brownies? This is a perfect twist on one of our nation’s favorite chocolate treats.
Frosted Orange Brownies are decadent and moist. These orange flavored brownies are covered with a delicious cream cheese frosting that is speckled with orange zest. Perfection!
I have been making chocolate brownies forever it seems. There are several iterations of brownies, like German Chocolate, double fudge, frosted brownies or even those full of crunchy walnuts. They are all wonderful! However, whenever it starts heading toward the Spring months, I want something a little lighter in flavor.
These Frosted Orange Brownies are the perfect substitute for my standard chocolate flavored goodie. The thing that makes these so special, is that they are ultra moist and the flavor of orange tastes amazing, when slathered in orange cream cheese frosting! Who knew!?
Frosted Orange Brownies are an undiscovered bombshell of flavor! These are an absolute Springtime favorite!!
We have over 20 orange trees on our property, so I usually want to incorporate the fruit of these beautiful trees into some of our recipes. This brownie recipe calls for orange extract and zest in the batter and orange juice and orange zest in the cream cheese frosting, so you get yummy orange flavor both coming and going!
To make this yummy brownie, you will need basic ingredients. You will first cream together the butter and eggs, then add in the orange extract and zest. Once you have mixed this well, you will add in the dry ingredients and pour into a prepared baking dish to bake for 30 minutes.
Frosted Orange Brownies
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup softened, butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz softened, cream cheese
- 1 1 lb box powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup softened, butter
- zest from 1 orange
- 2-1/2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or use Pam spray on a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- To make the brownies, cream together the softened butter and eggs. Add to this mixture, the orange extract, orange zest and sugar.
- You will then add the flour and salt into the wet ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated. Then pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a hand mixer, combine softened cream cheese with softened butter.
- To the cream cheese mixture, add the powdered sugar, orange zest, orange juice and mix until light and fluffy and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- When the brownies have cooled, spread all of the frosting over the entire pan of brownies. Then cut into squares to serve. Enjoy!!
While the brownies are baking, take this opportunity to make the cream cheese frosting. This is a basic combination of cream cheese, powdered sugar, orange juice and zest from one orange. Whip this combination together with a hand mixer until well incorporated, light and fluffy. After the brownies have cooled, spread the frosting out over the entire pan of brownies. Then cut them into squares and Enjoy!!!
We love Frosted Orange Brownies in our family. Do you have a favorite brownie that isn’t your standard chocolate? I would love you to try these and leave me a comment on the recipe and tell me what you thought of this Springtime treat!!