I have been on an adventure to make as many of my food choices as I can, from scratch. This also emcompasses many of the ingredients I use for each of these homemade recipes. I had recently canned my own garbanzo beans to be used in soups and stews, but the one dish I was literally drooling over, was the thought of my Healthy Homemade Hummus. It takes just a few ingredients and is so quick and easy to make.
Healthy Homemade Hummus is a luscious and creamy dip made of garbanzo beans, flavored with garlic, lemon and tahini. It is delicious on its own or served with crackers, flatbread or pita.
I am the only person in my family that likes hummus and I can’t say that it bothers me, because that just means I don’t have to share. I have been known to buy the huge container of hummus from Costco and eat that almost everyday for lunch. Then, when going to Costco or any store for that matter, became a bigger deal, my resolve to make my own became even greater. Pressure canning garbanzo beans is one of the easiest things I have canned. They cost pennies on the dollar and allow me to store them in bulk. Now, making my own Healthy Homemade Hummus is done in a snap.
For those that don’t know what hummus is, let me give you a quick “wus up.” Hummus is garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, that are soaked to soften them (unless you buy them already prepared in a can). These are ground together with garlic, olive oil, salt and tahini (toasted and ground sesame seeds). This forms a thick dip or spread that is often eaten with Lavash (a flatbread), crackers, fresh vegetables or pita. It is thought hummus originated in Egypt back in the 13th Century. Chickpeas are abundant all over the Middle East and each country makes their own slightly different version and claims it to be the best and of course, it is!
Healthy Homemade Hummus is made from 6 ingredients and comes together in 10 minutes.
To make a batch of Healthy Homemade Hummus, you will need a food processor or blender (though, you can mash this by hand if you want). You essentially dump all of the ingredients in together and process it until smooth. To make extra creamy hummus, you will want to process it for at least 5 minutes. This longer processing time can warm up the hummus, which you don’t want. Adding 1 ice cube at time to the food processor (with the hummus), not only helps keep the hummus cool, it helps bring it together into a perfectly creamy and smooth texture.
Healthy Homemade Hummus
- Food Processor or Blender
- 1 15 oz can Garbanzo beans drained
- 6 Tbsp tahini
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- dash cayenne or paprika sprinkled
- dash cumin sprinkled
- To the food processor, add drained garbanzo beans, peeled garlic, salt, tahini, olive oil
- Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon into the food processor and run for about 5 minutes. The hummus will start to warm up as it processes.
- As the hummus is processing, add the ice cubes 1 at a time to cool the hummus. This will also thin the hummus slightly as it cools it.
- Open processor to taste the hummus and adjust the flavors of lemon, garlic or salt. If it needs more of any one of these, adjust to your personal taste.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before eating, but 3 hours would be better to allow the garlic and olive oil flavors to meld into the hummus.
- To serve, place hummus in a bowl or shallow dish and make small divots in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle with cumin, paprika or cayenne and then fresh herbs.
- To eat, serve with crackers, pieces of flatbread or pita. Enjoy!
When I make hummus, I serve it in a bowl with low sides, which allows for easier scooping. When I place the hummus in the bowl, I swirl the back of the spoon in the hummus to make grooves on top. These grooves will catch the olive oil I then drizzle over it. Next, I sprinkle cumin, sumak or cayenne over the top. This adds a little more flavor, but is also visually appealing. I like to serve this with homemade pita bread, crackers, sliced cucumbers and bell peppers. Making Healthy Homemade Hummus takes just minutes, saves you money and allows you to make a BIG batch you can eat often!! Enjoy friends!
Remember to leave a *Star Rating* and tag me on your Instagram posts if you make any of my recipes. I love to see your creations!