I am not someone that subscribes to specific dietary restrictions. I know there are certain things I eat that don’t sit well with me (too much gluten) or cause me discomfort hours after I eat, so those I only indulge in now and then. There was a time in my past when I did follow a low carb diet religiously. I have recipes for low carb dishes coming out of my ears. One I return to often, just because it tastes so good, is Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites.
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites are just 4 ingredients to a satisfying snack the entire family will love!!
This low carb recipe is just flat out delicious! When I was following a low carb diet, there would be a time when pizza was a craving that I had. It was darn hard not to give into it. I have gone out for pizza and just scraped the toppings off the crust and eaten that, but that was kind of a drag. This snack solves that problem.
When I crave pizza, the whole pie looks and smells wonderful. My favorite part though, is the melty cheese, the crispy pepperoni and the zesty tomato sauce. You can add a few other toppings to the mix to make it even more well-rounded, but to me, the crust is an afterthought.
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites are all the wonderful flavor of pizza, without the extra carbs. You don’t have to be on a low carb diet to enjoy these. I bet you can’t eat just one!!
That is why these Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites are perfect! I can make these at home in my mini muffin tin. I often like to make a lot at one time and save them in an airtight container in the fridge. This way, I have snacks for the whole week. They are a great grab and go, eat with your hands, kind of food. For lunch I often make a salad and have a few of these pizza bites on the side, to round out my meal.
When I make a big batch of these, I make different kinds. Sometimes, I will change up the cheese. It calls for mozzarella cheese, but I also like sharp cheddar or pepper jack. Sometimes, I will put olives on top, jalapenos, sauteed bell pepper or even thinly sliced mushrooms. I especially like to put fresh basil on top, after they come out of the oven.
To make these Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating, make four slits in each piece of pepperoni. This will allow the pepperoni to sit in the mini muffin pan without popping out. Once each muffin tin cup has a pepperoni in it, place the pan into the preheated oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the pepperoni. If your pepperoni released a lot of grease, remove the piece of pepperoni and blot it with a paper towel and wipe out the muffin tin cup, then place the pepperoni back into the muffin tin.
Place a teaspoon of the pizza sauce into the crispy pepperoni, then more cheese on top. This is where you get to make them your own. Top them with a few black olives, spicy jalapeno rings or red pepper flakes, then place back into the oven to melt the cheese for approximately 5-7 minutes.
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 1 cup grated, mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce
- low carb topping of your choice example: olives, parmesan cheese, jalapenos, red pepper flakes, thinly sliced mushroom, whatever makes you happy!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each piece of pepperoni about halfway to the middle on each of the 4 sides.
- Push the cut piece of pepperoni into the muffin tin hole. The sides of the pepperoni will overlap each other and it will stay in the hole.
- Place pepperoni into the oven for 5 -7 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from oven, take pepperoni out of tin and place on a paper towel, to absorb extra grease. Remove the extra oil from muffin tin and then place pepperoni back into muffin pan.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of sauce into the pepperoni and top with more cheese and place your favorite topping on the very top.
- Place these back into the oven to melt the cheese, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and ENJOY!!
When these come out of the oven, I remove these from the muffin tin and put them on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any extra grease. If I want to keep some for later in the week, I put them in an airtight container. Then, I just microwave a few for about 15 seconds to reheat, when I am ready to have them later.
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites are a favorite snack food for my family. I would love to hear about the low carb snack you love to make your family.