This is the time of year when we look for hearty meals to fill our belly’s and warm our bodies. When it seems like we’re in the midst of an endless onslaught of cold, rain, and/or snow, you’ve got to have some meals on your list that fits the bill. This Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup may just do the trick for you. It makes a nice, big, batch and tastes even better leftover after the flavors have had time to marry. I typically make a double batch so we can have some extra for lunches and possibly another dinner. Being that I am a soup lover, I have a slew of really consistently wonderful soups you may also like. I have a fantastic variety in flavors; Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup, Low Carb Toscana Soup, Hearty Cream of Turkey Soup, Tom Kha Gai Soup.
Good character, like good soup, is usually homemade-Amish Proverb
This has been my go-to, tried and true, creamy soup recipe for a long time. I think I got this recipe out of a newspaper 15 or so years ago and I have heard it tastes similar to a popular Cream of Potato Soup served at a chain, salad bar type restaurant. I will have to take their word for it, as I haven’t eaten that soup. I just know I really, really, like this soup!
This simple Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup, is rich and creamy with chunks of potato and an aromatic flavor from the crushed rosemary. You cook your potatoes to a fork tender, which means after you have added all the ingredients to the soup pot, you can easily smash some of the potatoes with the back of your wooden spoon and leave some larger. I prefer to leave chunks of potatoes for the textural contrast. Feel free to use any potato you have on hand. I usually choose Yukon Gold Potatoes because they are a slightly waxier potato and yield a creamier soup, when compared to a starchier Russet, which would produce a grainier texture to the soup. Every cook has their version of the BEST potato soup and the addition of rosemary to this soup brings it up to another level.
Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup is hands down my favorite comfort food in a bowl!!
Rosemary is a fragrant member of the mint family. It has needle-like leaves, a unique, slightly woodsy, fragrance that is a wonderful addition to potatoes. When using rosemary, you will want to grind or chop the rosemary “leaves” into fine pieces, as they do not break down when cooking. Rosemary is pungent and it can overwhelm your dish if you use too much, so just make sure to measure.
Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup
- 4 cup Peeled, cubed potato
- 4 Tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely, chopped
- 6 Tablespoon flour
- 3-1/2 cup water
- 3 Tablespoon chicken base I use "Better than Bouillon"
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed, rosemary rub between your finger and thumb to crush
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed, black, pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy, cream
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 Tablesppon chopped, parsley
- Peel, cube and cook potatoes in a pot of water until fork tender, then drain and set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, melt butter and then add garlic. Saute for a minute, then stir in flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the flour from burning.
- To the flour mixture in the pot, add the water, drained potatoes, chicken base, salt, pepper, parsley, ground rosemary, heavy cream and half and half. Stir gently to mix. (Now is the time to smash any potatoes with the back of your spoon, if you want a smoother soup). Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with toppings of your choice. ENJOY!
Typically, I top this with a sprinkling of grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a dash of cayenne pepper. There are so many ways to customize this soup, from chopped, green onions to crispy, bacon. This time, I had a few slices of sourdough bread on hand, so I cubed them and tossed them in a hot skillet with a little butter, olive oil, garlic, cayenne pepper and then sautéed them until crunchy. Serve this with a hunk of crusty bread or even a soft dinner roll to help sop up this Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup goodness. Enjoy friends! I know you will love this recipe so remember to check out some of the other popular soups from my blog, they will knock your socks off!!
Does your family have a recipe for soup that you all count on like I do for this Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup?
Remember to leave a *Star Rating* and tag me on your Instagram posts if you make any of my recipes. I love to see your creations!