Thai food has got to be one of my favorite types of food. It is a perfect balance when done well. It is spicy, sweet, salty and sour. It is can vary in intensity in all of those categories, but all in all, it is amazing! I love to take a favorite type of food and then make something a little unexpected with it, which is how I came up with this Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup.
Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is creamy and hearty with rich, deep Thai flavors.
I also love myself some sweet potatoes! I don’t have them very often unless they are made into fries, since Opa isn’t much of a fan. This recipe for Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is the best of both of these worlds, with all the wonderful flavor and then blended smooth into this delicious soup. You know I am a fan of potatoes in my soup based on some of my blog favorites, Hearty Cream of Turkey Soup and Cream of Potato and Rosemary Soup. This is will soon be another fan favorite!
This is a soup made primarily of sweet potatoes, but for an added sweetness and root vegetable heartiness, the carrot plays the part of supporting cast member. I add fresh ginger, garlic and diced onion that are sautéed until tender, which provides deep flavors.
Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup has layers of amazing flavors, from the the garlic and fresh ginger to the red Thai curry and coconut milk.
This is a soup packed full of flavors, but is amazingly simple to make! There is no need to first boil your sweet potatoes or carrots, these are done in the broth with other ingredients. In fact if you diced your onions, carrots and potatoes in the morning, you could have this ready and on table in 25 minutes.
The first thing you will do, is dice your onion and coarsely chop your garlic. You will sauté these in the oil with the chopped ginger until the onion is soft and translucent. Once this is nice and soft, add the Red Thai Curry and broth. Stir to incorporate these. Cook the potatoes and carrots until they are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Once you can easily pierce the vegetables with a fork, you will use your immersion blender and blend until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, ladle this into the your stand blender and blend until smooth, then pour it back into the pot.
Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced, sweet onion
- 1-1/2 inches chopped, fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp Red Thai Curry
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- chopping cilantro optional topping
- toasted pumpkin seeds optional topping
- wedge of lime squeezed onto soup optional topping
- Place oil in a heavy bottom pot, add diced onion, chopped garlic and chopped ginger. Saute until onion is soft and translucent.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes and carrots. Add the salt and black pepper to the onion mix. Then add broth and simmer on medium for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender in pot to blend vegetables and broth until smooth. Use a stand blender if you don't have an immersion blender.
- Once blended until smooth, add cayenne pepper and coconut milk or heavy cream and stir until well incorporated and heat for 5 more minutes or until soup hot.
- Top your bowl of soup with chopped cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds and a dash of Sriracha. Enjoy!!
Once blended, add in the cayenne and coconut milk. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use heavy cream. Stir in and heat for a few minutes on low. When I serve this Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup, I top it with toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro and a little bit of Sriracha. Oh gosh it is delicious, I know you will think so too!!
Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is an absolutely flavor packed soup! What simple recipe do you have for soup that is a taste bud surprise!?