This recipe for Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken is a weeknight meal game changer. Not only does this require only one skillet to make, because it looks so darn delicious in the pan, it can be brought to the table to serve. This is a meal everyone in the family will like. It has delicious, tender chicken, sweet honey, tangy dijon mustard, salty and crunchy bacon all brought together in a creamy delicious sauce.
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken is absolutely delicious, but also quick enough to make, that it will become a regular for your weeknight meal plan.
I love anything labeled honey-mustard, so I knew this dish would be a winner as soon as I looked at the ingredients. In this dish, even though it calls for honey, it isn’t too overly sweet. It balances out nicely with the mustard. This sauce is made by simmering the ingredients in the same skillet in which we first cooked the bacon and the chicken. So, the base is already laden with amazing, deep, flavors.
I typically make Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with either chicken breasts or chicken thighs, though my preference in this case is skinless, boneless breasts. Chicken breasts cook up quickly, so it is ideal when trying to get dinner on the table in a hurry. To make things even quicker, if I had made bacon earlier in the week, I would have cooked up extra and put it in the fridge. Then, I would have used a tablespoon or two of the bacon grease I have in a jar to cook this chicken in. That saves me time cooking the bacon on the night I make this. That is one of the benefits of making a meal plan a week ahead of time.
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken is made from tender, juicy chicken, sweet honey and tangy mustard. Add in crunchy bacon and heavy cream and you have the makings of a family favorite!!
To make this dish, I usually pick my big cast iron skillet. If you do not have an iron skillet, any large skillet will do. You want to pick a pan big enough to hold the chicken, but one that also has enough space to simmer the sauce and chicken together for a bit. Start by cooking your bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel and leave only 1 or 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan to cook the chicken.
Season your chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Once the bacon has been cooked and removed from the skillet, add the chicken into the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side. When the chicken has browned and is cooked through, remove it from the skillet and set it aside on a plate, covering with foil to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
To the skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Melt the butter and add in the sliced garlic and simmer for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. It will become bitter if you do. To the garlic add in the dijon mustard, honey and the chicken broth. Stir this around simmering for just a minute or two, make sure the honey and mustard have dissolved and then stir in the heavy cream and simmer on low.
Once the sauce has started to bubble, stir in half of the bacon, and place the chicken breasts back into the skillet, submerging them in the sauce. Make sure to turn the heat to medium-low when you add the chicken back to the skillet. Simmer the chicken in the sauce for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle more cooked bacon on top of the chicken and garnish with chopped, fresh, basil
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- 6 cloves sliced, garlic
- 6-8 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coarse, dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped basil for garnish
- Fry strips of bacon in skillet until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel. Coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Fry chicken breasts in 1-2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes a side or until cooked through.
- Remove cooked chicken from skillet, cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Melt butter and add sliced garlic. Saute garlic for 1-2 minutes. To the garlic, add dijon mustard, honey and broth, simmer for 1-2 minutes, allowing honey and mustard to dissolve, then add the heavy cream.
- Once the sauce has started to bubble, stir in half of the bacon, and place the chicken breasts back into the skillet, submerging them in the sauce. Simmer the chicken in the sauce for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining bacon and chopped basil and bring skillet to table to serve. Enjoy!
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken is good enough to shoot to the top of your list of family favorites. I like to serve this with rice or noodles and it is perfect for company. If you like this flavorful chicken, I think you will love my Instant Pot Sweet-N-Sticky Chicken Thighs. These are packed with flavor and also ready in a jiffy.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5 star rating takes just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more followers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I love hearing from you!