I don’t know a single person who doesn’t love a good bagel! A well made bagel is a canvas for an infinite number of toppings and spreads. It could be herbed cream cheese, salmon with capers, toasted and slathered in jam, cream cheese and Everything Bagel Seasoning, or thin slices of steak drizzled with Chimichurri Sauce……ohhh, I’m getting hungry!!
If you are having a craving for a warm bagel, you have to give Easy Low Carb Bagels a try. You will be pleasantly surprised!!
I have tried quite a few different low carb and gluten free bagels. Some I bought at the store, others I made from whatever recipe was touted as “tried and true” but none of them made the cut. These Easy Low Carb Bagels are the real deal in flavor and texture!
After trying several different recipes, several different times, I found the dough for these Easy Low Carb Bagels to be the best gluten free and low carb bagels each and every time. My husband and I love bread and he LOVES bagels, so when we are trying to avoid gluten or keep our carbs low, these are our go-to for a toothsome, slightly chewy, bread-like option.
I always have a stash of Easy Low Carb Bagels in the freezer for a quick snack or piled high with goodies for a heartier meal!
The beauty of this dough is that it is only 5 ingredients, most of which you probably have at home. The short list of ingredients consists of cream cheese, mozzarella, an egg, almond flour (the finer the grind, the better the texture) and baking soda. These ingredients do not use white flour, so they are wheat free, which means these Easy Low Carb Bagels are gluten free!
The prep for these Easy Low Carb Bagels is very easy. You can either mix these by hand or use a stand mixer. If you are making these by hand, you simply melt the cheeses together in the microwave, add the egg and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add the almond flour and baking powder and again stir to combine.
If you are using a stand mixer, you would melt the cheeses together and transfer the warm cheeses to your stand mixing bowl to add the remaining ingredients. Making sure you have the paddle attachment on, turn the mixer on to a medium speed. When the cheese is well combined, add the egg and mix to combine, then add the almond flour and baking powder and mix again until well combined. The dough will be slightly sticky, that is okay. You can then shape these into 6 bagels.
There are various methods for shaping these Easy Low Carb Bagels. Some people like to make a ball and then, holding the ball of dough in both hands, press your thumb through the dough and work the hole bigger until the desired shape. I prefer to roll the dough pieces into a thick rope and then make a circle out of them where I pinch the ends together. Bagels should be place on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Easy Low Carb Bagels
- 1-1/2 cup grated or shredded, mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large egg, (plus one egg for egg wash after then are formed into bagel).
- 1-1/4 cup almond flour (the finer the grind, the better the texture)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Misc toppings (salt, everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds etc.).
- Put the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese into medium sized bowl and microwave for approximately 45 seconds. You want to melt the cheeses, so you can stir them together, but not cook them. If after 45 seconds, some of the cheese is not quite melted, put the bowl back in the microwave in 10 second increments to soften.
- When cheeses are melted and combined, add in egg, mix to incorporate and then add the almond flour and baking powder. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll into thick ropes and pinch ends together in the shape of a bagel, then place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Break egg into a small bowl, add a tablespoon of water and mix to create an egg wash. With a small brush, brush the egg mixture on top of bagels and sprinkle with your favorite topping (salt, everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds etc ).
- Place into oven preheated to 400 degrees and bake until the bagel is browned on the outside. Remove from oven and let bagels sit on cookie sheet until cool I(they will be soft at first).
- Once cool, slice in half and eat!! You can store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you would like to sprinkle seeds and/or spices onto the bagels, such as Everything Bagel Seasoning , you can do this after you brush the bagels with an egg wash (or even water) to help them stick. Then pop the bagels in the oven to bake for approximately 12 minutes or until bagels are slightly golden. This recipe makes 6 bagels. Enjoy friends!!
What is your favorite Easy Low Carb Bagel topping?