It is not quite Summer, but I am already hoping for an abundance of zucchini……said no one ever! Maybe an abundance is the wrong word. Maybe the right word is a bushel, one bushel of zucchini and then only a few more for good measure! I have lots of things to make with this quick growing veggie, but the one I am really looking forward to right now is Ranch Zucchini Fritters!
Once you taste a Ranch Zucchini Fritter, you cannot stop. It is impossible to just eat one!
When my youngest son was growing up, he loved all things “Ranch” flavored. On the other hand, he did not, and still does not love vegetables. When he was a teenager, I stumbled on this recipe for Ranch Zucchini Fritters and I knew we had to at least give them a try. They were ranch flavored and fried after all, so I knew he’d at least give them a shot at being edible. As I had suspected, they were a hit and on the menu rotation often!
These are quick and easy to make. You only need basic kitchen items; zucchini, a packet of ranch dressing, a couple of pantry staple items and you have the makings for a unique and very tasty fritter. I like that I can make these in my iron skillet (any large skillet will do) because breaking out my deep fryer is a messy endeavor I loathe to clean up.
To start making Ranch Zucchini Fritters, you will want to wash, then grate your zucchini. Then, put the grated zucchini in a colander that is set in the sink and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and let sit for about 15 minutes. This helps pull the extra water out of the zucchini. After letting the zucchini sit for 15 minutes, place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out the extra water. The key to preventing a soggy middle is to make sure you have removed as much of the liquid from the grated zucchini as you can. Remember our goal is a cooked middle and a browned and crunchy on the outside
These Ranch Zucchini Fritters are the the ultimate flavorful snack on their own or as a side dish to your main meal!
Heat oil in a large skillet (enough so at least half the fritter is submerged, about 1-2 inches depending on your skillet size), over medium heat. Drop a heaping tablespoon of the batter into the hot oil. These will puff up a bit when you fry them. You don’t want your oil too hot or the inside won’t cook and the outside will be too brown, medium heat for the win here!
Ranch Zucchini Fritters
- 2 cups grated, zucchini
- 1/2 packet 1/2 packet of a 1-ounce ranch style dressing dip mix (powdered)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Oil to fry fritter (approximately 2 inches deep)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to sprinkle on grated zucchini)
- Fill a skillet with oil about 2 inches deep and heat to approximately 375 degrees.
- Wash and grate zucchini and place in colander. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then place zucchini in a clean dish towel to wring out extra water.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, ranch dressing powder, baking powder, egg and milk, then fold in zucchini.
- When oil is hot, drop a rounded Tablespoon of batter into the oil. Fry until both sides of the fritter are golden brown..
- Remove fritter from oil, drain on paper towel.
Once these are cooked, drain on a paper towel and let cool slightly. No need to dip them in anything because all of the ranch goodness is already in every bite. Your Ranch Zucchini Fritter should be golden brown, tender in the middle and slightly puffed or round shaped. My family loves these, I hope you do too! Enjoy Friends!
Do you have a favorite fritter your family loves to eat by the plateful?