When my husband and I reminisce about our childhoods, one thing we have in common and wholeheartedly agree upon, is the store-bought coconut cake (found in the freezer section) of our youth was one of our favorites! This cake still exists, but it doesn’t hold the same power it had when we were kids.
This Super Simple Coconut Cake is packed with flavor and will become a family favorite!
Now that I know how to cook and bake, that cake isn’t quite as magical as I once thought it was. I have had mile high coconut cakes, oozing with sweet coconut flavor and finished with a cream cheese frosting. They are an impressive sight to behold! A homemade, multilayered, coconut cake is amazing! It is elegant and sophisticated, but it’s also a little bit more of a commitment to baking than most busy folks want to undertake. This is why I love my Super Simple Coconut Cake recipe!
This recipe for Super Simple Coconut Cake captures all the flavor of the classic coconut cake, but hardly any of the work. This recipe is quick and simple because it uses a box cake mix, and a can of condensed milk! CHEATER!!! Yes, in fact, it’s an awesome cheat! The box cake is good on its own, but if you poke holes in the baked, cake and pour the condensed milk over it while the cake is still warm, it adds moistness and brings the coconut flavor to the forefront.
Super Simple Coconut Cake is quick to make and tastes amazing!!
The name of this is Super Simple Coconut Cake, but is also qualifies as a poke cake, because you do in fact poke holes in it. Most of the poke cakes I have tried, use pudding as a layer that also fills the holes. This cake uses, thick, condensed milk poured onto the warm cake, so the condensed milk runs into the holes of the cake where it is absorbed.
Super Simple Coconut Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 16oz cream cheese frosting (1 tub) I actually like more frosting, so i use about a 1-1/2 tubs.
- 2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
- Grease a 9 x 13 glass dish. Prepare white cake mix per package instructions and pour into the greased baking dish. Baked as directed on the box.
- Remove baked cake from oven and immediately poke holes all over the warm cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour entire can of condensed milk over the top of the warm cake, letting it run into the holes. Then cover and refrigerate until cool (several hours).
- Place the prepared frosting into a bowl and whip on a very high speed for about 5 minutes You are aerating this cream cheese frosting to make it lighter.
- Frost the cake with the whipped frosting and then sprinkle the coconut all over the top.
- Cut the cake and enjoy! Keep covered with plastic wrap and it will stay fresh all week.
This cake is for coconut lovers everywhere! Super Simple Coconut Cake exceeds my expectations for flavor because it’s just so quick and easy to make. It is incredibly moist, with a wonderful coconut flavor. The cream cheese frosting is lighter because I aerate it to lighten the texture and then cover it with sweetened coconut. Its just divine! Enjoy friends!
Super Simple Coconut Cake is so easy to make. Do you have a family favorite cake that is easier to make than the original?
5 thoughts on “Super Simple Coconut Cake”
I took this cake to a potluck for work yesterday. It was the first dessert gone. What a crowd-pleaser.
Oh, I am so glad to hear this!! Thank you for letting me know and I am glad it was such a success!!
Made it with grandkids and they ( and I) loved it. Making it again now for July 4th party tomorrow…gonna due the coconut red, blue and usual white. Thanks Heidi!
Yay, so glad to hear that!! We love it!!
So excited that I found you ! Wonderful recipes you have ! Im definitely going to try the Shepherd Pie. It sounds AMAZING .