This has got to be one of the quickest and easiest holiday treats there is. I admit when my sister called and told me she had gotten hooked on crack, I wasn’t surprised. She has always been known as the wild child…….naaaahhhh, just kidding!! While she did say she had gotten into crack, I knew she had a tasty holiday treat recipe her was going to lay on me.
Christmas Crack is a chocolate topped, toffee cracker made on a sheet pan, so clean up is a breeze!!
The holidays are racing toward us and most of us are in a full-on sprint to get things taken care of before the wave that is Christmas Day, is upon us. While this is my favorite time of year, there are so many goodies I want to make and share with those I love, that it becomes difficult for me to pare down my list.
When my sister said she had a “super quick goodie” to share, she wasn’t kidding! After she described what Christmas Crack was and how she made it, I knew this was sure to be a new addition to my must have holiday baking list.
Christmas Crack is a buttery brown sugar and cracker base, topped with melted chocolate and chopped nuts. It sets up hard and you then crack it into pieces to eat. Perfect for goodie bags or holiday parties.
The wonderful thing about Christmas Crack is that this only requires 5 basic ingredients, a pot and a baking sheet. These are only in the oven for 5 minutes, then in the fridge to set and they are done! I don’t think it can get much easier than that. This can be topped with so many different items, from chopped nuts, to different candies, sprinkles or even different flavored chips. Skies the limit!!
To make Christmas Crack, first you lay your saltines out in a single layer, on a foil lined baking sheet. In a sauce pan, you will melt the butter and brown sugar (you will love my Homemade Brown Sugar, it amps up the flavor to craaazy good) together until they are bubbling. Pour this over the saltine crackers and place the baking sheet in a preheated oven for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes in the oven, remove the baking sheet from the oven and and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot crackers. Loosely cover with foil for a few minutes to help melt the chocolate. Remove the foil and spread the chocolate chips out evenly over the crackers and sprinkle chopped nuts on top of that. Place in the refrigerate/freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 35-45 saltine crackers
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1-1/2-2 cup chopped nuts of your choice ( i used walnuts)
- Line a 10 X 15 sheet pan with foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place your saltines on the sheet pain in a single layer.
- Meanhwile, in a medium sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar, and cook until bubbly.
- Then pour butter/brown sugar mixture over saltines and then gently spread out evenly over crackers. Place in preheated 300 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle crackers with the chocolate chips. Lightly cover the hot baking sheet pan with a piece of foil to help melt the chocolate chips. (about 5 min)
- Remove foil and with a spatula spread chocolate out onto crackers, and top with chopped nuts.
- Place in freezer for 20-30 or refrigerator until chocolate is hard and set.
- You can cut the Christmas Crack with a knife or break into pieces to eat. Enjoy!
After the chocolate has hardened, you will probably be able to remove the whole toffee cracker in one piece. Place on a cutting board to cut into pieces or break apart with your hands. Christmas Crack obviously tastes amazing, but it’s also great to give away in goodie bags and super quick to make for last minute company.